National Student Exchange (NSE) is a unique, not-for-profit consortium of nearly 200 accredited, baccalaureate-granting colleges and universities in the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico and, the U.S. Virgin Islands. Through NSE, the member institutions provide exchange opportunities for undergraduate students.

No. The University of Arizona has been a member of NSE since the 1990s. We are constantly growing and improving the program here!

NSE is not managed by the study abroad office at UA. An exchange completed through NSE is considered a "domestic exchange" (in most cases) whereas an exchange completed through study abroad is typically considered an "international exchange." Most of the campuses that NSE students exchange to are located within the United States (New York, Hawaii, Alaska, etc.) or its territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands) making the exchange a domestic exchange versus an international exchange. The exception would be Canada. NSE has many partner campuses in Canada and if a UA student exchanges there it would be considered an international exchange (requiring a passport, study permit, etc.) 

Students can exchange sophomore, junior, or even senior year. However, we encourage UA students to exchange during sophomore or junior year, if possible.

It depends on where you want to study. The campuses in Puerto Rico require Spanish language fluency prior to exchange and most campuses in Quebec, Canada require French language fluency prior to exchange. The reason demonstrated fluency is required in these cases is because the language of instruction is Spanish and French, respectively.

Otherwise, academic programs are taught in English and do not require foreign language proficiency.

This is the best part about NSE! We offer two payment plans that allow many students the opportunity to complete a very affordable exchange.

  • Plan A: UA student pays the in-state tuition and fees of the host campus. The plan is only available for Arizona state residents.
  • Plan B: UA student pays regular UA tuition and fees while on exchange. This plan allows for scholarships and financial aid awards to remain unchanged during the exchange. This plan is available for Arizona state residents and out-of-state residents.

You will also be responsible for transportation costs to/from and the costs of housing and meals at your exchange location. Most campuses have opportunities for both on-campus or off-campus housing for NSE students.

Please fill out the form on the "Contact" tab of this site for assistance. 

An official transcript from your exchange campus must be sent to the UA for review. 

Send Domestic Transcripts to: 

Registration & Transcripts
The University of Arizona
Administration Building, Room 210
PO Box 210066
Tucson, AZ 85721-0066

Send International Transcripts (with certified English translation) to: 

International Admissions
The University of Arizona
Bear Down Gym
1428 E. University Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85721

Return To Top